Catch moments others miss; Speed and accuracy in total harmony
- D4 offers a level of speed and accuracy that will redefine your notion of the fleeting moment. A carefully selected FX-format 16.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor is paired with Nikon’s powerful EXPEED3 image processor for stunning stills up to 11 fps. A 91,000-Pixel RGB 3D Color Matrix Metering III sensor partners with Nikon’s Advanced SRS to deliver unmatched accuracy in every frame. Add a faster, more responsive 51-point AF system for a camera that can keep pace with you.
Stunning images every time; Superior quality you expect from Nikon
- What are speed and accuracy without image quality? Nikon’s FX-format (36.0mm x 23.9mm) CMOS image sensor delivers 16.2 effective megapixels of resolution for exquisite detail. Each of this remarkable sensor’s 7.3-micron pixels is designed to collect maximum light to produce stunning images and video across D4’s broad ISO range of 100 to 12,800 (expandable down to 50 and up to 204,800). Expect the highest image quality in bright and dark shooting. Plus, EXPEED3 image processing yields the most faithful colors, tones and a wide dynamic range.
Enhance stories with HD video; Broadcast-quality and outstanding control
- When an assignment calls for broadcast-quality video and audio, D4 is ready. Choose from three Multi-area mode Full HD D-Movie (1080p) video formats: FX, DX or the new 2.7x Crop mode—all at 16:9 aspect ratio. Manual exposure control helps keep the same look from start to finish. Built-in HDMI lets you view footage on an external monitor or record uncompressed 8-bit 4.2.2 footage directly to an external recording device. Even take 2MP stills simultaneously while filming. Attach the ME-1 Stereo Microphone and record high fidelity audio with minimal camera noise. On-screen audio level indicators and a headphone jack help you monitor and adjust audio in 20 incremental steps. D4 takes you from inspiring stills to amazing videos with ease
Complete control and comfort; Designed for an efficient workflow
- D4’s remarkable design is the culmination of photographer feedback and Nikon innovation. Adjust AF and AF Area modes without moving your eye from the viewfinder. Quickly select AF points with a new joystick style sub-selector—positioned for both horizontal and vertical shooting. In low-light, all operation buttons and dials are beautifully backlit. Two media card slots offer flexibility and control. Built-in wired LAN and the optional WT-5A Wireless Transmitter enable secure, high-speed file transmission as well as remote camera functionality. Simply put, D4 was built to meet professional demands
Expand your opportunities; Nikon imaging system compatibility
- Draw on the full potential of D4: world-renowned NIKKOR lenses, the Nikon Creative Lighting System, Speedlights, accessories and software. Each impressive FX and DX lens in the NIKKOR lineup is fully tested to deliver sharpness, accuracy and reliability. Bring studio quality lighting to assignments with Nikon Speedlights. Only Nikon offers i-TTL (Intelligent Through The Lens) flash control, which allows Nikon Speedlights to access extensive exposure and metering data from D4 to provide unprecedented levels of flash precision and performance. Nikon’s professional imaging software, and a robust line of compatible accessories will help you expand your capabilities.
Never miss a deadline; The WT-5A Wireless Transmitter is designed for use with the Nikon D4 D-SLR camera
- When the world is waiting, being the first to publish makes all the difference. Nikon’s powerful new wireless transmitter, WT-5A, attaches directly to D4 to securely and quickly transfer files.
- HTTP Mode: Now you can use the web browser on your iPhone® and/or iPad®** to operate camera controls or begin Live View shooting, including starting and stopping HD video and more.
- Image Transmission Mode: Transmit images to an FTP server or computer two times faster than the Nikon WT-4A.
- PC Mode: Operate the D4 via Camera Control Pro 2. From one master camera, simultaneously release up to ten remote D4/WT-5A combinations.
New 51-point AF system
- Nikon’s new advanced AF sensor uses 51 strategically placed AF points for faster focus operation by working together like a net to capture moving subjects or individually for pinpoint accuracy. Each of the 51 selectable AF points delivers fast and accurate AF detection to a low light level of -2 EV (ISO 100, 20° C) with every compatible AF NIKKOR lens.
Rich image previewing
- D4’s beautiful 3.2-inch, 921,000-dot LCD includes an ambient brightness sensor for maximum visibility and crisp playback, menu adjustment and Live View shooting. Quickly enlarge images and videos up to 46x for spot focus confirmation—crucial for high-resolution shooting.
Our most rugged body yet
- To sustain peak performance in the most demanding environments, D4’s body, exterior and mirror box are comprised of strong yet lightweight magnesium alloy. Thorough measures are taken to seal and protect against invasive moisture, dust and electromagnetic interference.
Dual memory card slots (CF and XQD)
- Dual memory card slots (one CF and one XQD) Record two full cards of data, the same still image data on both cards for instant backup, RAW on one card and JPEG on the other or transfer data from one card to another. You can even designate one slot for data-heavy HD video recording.
AF detection up to f/8
- D4 aligns its 15 cross-type sensors in the center to detect contrast for both vertical and horizontal lines with lenses f/5.6 or faster. The five central points and three points to the left and right of them in the middle line are compatible with f/8.
Multi-Area Full HD D-Movie Video Recording Modes
- FX-format renders exquisitely shallow depth of field and wide-angle shooting. DX-format offers a 1.5x crop of the lens focal length, and 1920×1080 Crop format gives you a 2.7x angle of view—ideal for extending lens reach when you can’t get close enough
91,000-pixel RGB 3D Color Matrix Metering III with Advanced SRS
- Face detection using the optical viewfinder and detailed scene analysis using the 91,000-pixel RGB sensor enables superior auto exposure, auto white balance, AF performance and i-TTL flash exposure.
- Combine two exposures at up to 3EV to create a single image revealing an extremely wide dynamic range but with less noise and richer color gradation than ever before.
Two-axis Virtual Horizon indicator
- Determine if the camera is level—horizontally or forward—through the viewfinder or LCD monitor.
New mirror balancer
- Minimizes the bounce of the mirror’s down movement, extending viewing time and allowing more time for AF operation—one reason D4 achieves AF and focus tracking even during high-speed continuous shooting.
Intelligent power management
- Expect greater operating efficiency thanks to a new, small, high-capacity EN-EL 18 rechargeable Li-ion battery that can deliver up to approximately 2,600 images* per charge.
View simultaneous Live View output on external monitors and record uncompressed video via HDMI terminal
- Check video recording on the camera’s LCD and external monitor simultaneously; ideal for focus pullers and camera operators. When the highest possible image quality is required, you can bypass memory cards and record uncompressed footage directly from the image sensor onto an external recording device.
Time lapse shooting
- Set intervals and frame rates in order to dramatically relay slow-moving activity at dramatic speeds. D4 lets you shoot time-lapse photography with replay rates from 24 to 36,000 times faster than normal and save them as movie files.
Two Live View shooting modes
- Photography Live View and Movie Live View modes add flexibility; exposure, white balance, monitor hue, histogram, focus mode, AF area mode and focusing accuracy are easily confirmed.
Dedicated Nikon Picture Control button
- Quickly access six preset picture control options—Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Landscape and Portrait—and up to nine customizable settings with a single button.
400,000-cycle tested shutter
- For the utmost reliability and rigorous performance, D4’s shutter has been tested on fully assembled cameras for 400,000 cycles at extreme continuous burst rates.
Self-diagnostic shutter monitor
- Should any shutter variance be detected, D4 automatically corrects and adjusts between the actual shutter speed and correct shutter speed to sustain precision shutter operation throughout the mechanism’s lifespan.
|Image sensor||36.0 x 23.9 mm CMOS sensor (Nikon FX format)|
|Total pixels||16.6 million|
|Dust-reduction system||Image sensor cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (requires optional Capture NX 2 software)|
|Effective pixels||16.2 million|
|Lens mount||Nikon F mount (with AF coupling and AF contacts)|
|Image size (pixels) 1||FX format (36×24): 4,928 x 3,280 [L], 3,696 x 2,456 [M], 2,464 x 1,640 [S]
1.2x (30×20): 4,096 x 2,720 [L], 3,072 x 2,040 [M], 2,048 x 1,360 [S]
DX format (24×16): 3,200 x 2,128 [L], 2,400 x 1,592 (M), 1,600 x 1,064 (S)
5:4 (30×24): 4,096 x 3,280 [L], 3,072 x 2,456 [M], 2,048 x 1,640 [S]
FX-format photographs taken in movie live view (16:9): 4,928 x 2,768 [L], 3,696 x 2,072 [M], 2,464 x 1,384 [S]
|Image size (pixels) 2||DX-format photographs taken in movie live view (16:9): 3,200 x 1,792 [L], 2,400 x 1,344 [M], 1,600 x 896 [S]
FX-format photographs taken in movie live view (3:2): 4,928 x 3,280 [L], 3,696 x 2,456 [M], 2,464 x 1,640 [S]
DX-format photographs taken in movie live view (3:2): 3,200 x 2,128 [L], 2,400 x 1,592 [M], 1,600 x 1,064 [S]
A DX-based format is used for photographs taken using the DX (24×16) 1.5x image area; an FX-based format is used for all other photographs
|Storage File format||NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed or uncompressed
JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8) or basic (approx. 1:16) compression (Size priority); Optimal quality compression available
NEF (RAW)+JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
|Picture Control System||Can be selected from Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape; selected Picture Control can be modified; storage for custom Picture Controls|
|Media||XQD and Type I CompactFlash memory cards (UDMA compliant)|
|Dual card slots||Either card can be used for primary or backup storage or for separate storage of NEF (RAW) and JPEG images; pictures can be copied between cards|
|File system||DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), Exif (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras) 2.3, PictBridge|
|Viewfinder||Eye-level pentaprism single-lens reflex viewfinder|
|Frame coverage||FX (36×24): Approx. 100% horizontal and 100% vertical
1.2x (30×20): Approx. 97% horizontal and 97% vertical
DX (24×16): Approx. 97% horizontal and 97% vertical
5:4 (30×24): Approx. 97% horizontal and 100% vertical
|Magnification||Approx. 0.7x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, -1.0 m-1)|
|Eyepoint||18 mm (-1.0 m-1; from center surface of viewfinder eyepiece lens)|
|Diopter adjustment||-3 to +1 m-1|
|Focusing screen||Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VIII screen with AF area brackets and framing grid|
|Reflex mirror||Quick return|
|Depth-of-field preview||When Pv button is pressed, lens aperture is stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or by camera (P and S modes)|
|Lens aperture||Instant return, electronically controlled|
|Compatible lenses||Compatible with AF NIKKOR lenses, including type G and D lenses (some restrictions apply to PC-NIKKOR lenses), DX lenses [using DX (24x16) image area], AI-P NIKKOR lenses and non-CPU AI lenses (exposure modes A and M only); IX-NIKKOR lenses, lenses for the F3AF and non-AI lenses cannot be used|
|Shutter Type||Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter|
|Speed||1/8,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV, bulb, X250|
|Flash sync speed||X=1/250 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/250 s or slower|
|Release modes||S (single frame), CL (continuous low speed), CH (continuous high speed), Q (quiet shutter-release), (self-timer), MUP (mirror up)|
|Frame advance rate||Up to approx. 10 fps (CL) or approx. 10 to 11 fps (CH)|
|Self-timer||2 s, 5 s, 10 s, 20 s; 1 to 9 exposures at intervals of 0.5, 1, 2 or 3 s|
|Exposure Metering||TTL exposure metering using RGB sensor with approx. 91K (91,000) pixels|
|Metering method 1||Matrix: 3D color matrix metering III (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering III (other CPU lenses); color matrix metering available with non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data
Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 12-mm circle in center of frame; diameter of circle can be changed to 8, 15 or 20 mm, or weighting can be based on average of entire frame (non-CPU lenses use 12-mm circle or average of entire frame)
|Metering method 2||Spot: Meters 4-mm circle (about 1.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)|
|Range (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20deg.C)||Matrix or center-weighted metering: -1 to 20 EV
Spot metering: 2 to 20 EV
|Exposure meter coupling||Combined CPU and AI|
|Exposure modes||Programmed auto with flexible program (P); shutter-priority auto (S); aperture-priority auto (A); manual (M)|
|Exposure compensation||-5 to +5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV|
|Exposure bracketing||2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV|
|Exposure lock||Luminosity locked at detected value with the center of the sub-selector|
|Exposure: ISO sensitivity||ISO 100 to 12800 in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV; can also be set to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 or 1 EV (ISO 50 equivalent) below ISO 100 or to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2, 3 or 4 EV (ISO 204800 equivalent) above ISO 12800; auto ISO sensitivity control available|
|Active D-Lighting||Can be selected from auto, extra high +2/+1, high, normal, low or off|
|ADL bracketing||2 frames using selected value for one frame or 3 to 5 frames using preset values for all frames|
|Autofocus||Nikon Advanced Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, fine-tuning, 51 focus points (including 15 cross-type sensors; f/8 supported by 11 sensors)|
|Detection range||-2 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20deg.C/68deg.F)|
|Focus: Lens servo||Autofocus (AF): Single-servo autofocus (AF-S); continuous-servo autofocus (AF-C); predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status
Manual focus (M): Electronic rangefinder can be used
|Focus point||Can be selected from 51 or 11 focus points|
|Focus: AF-area modes||Single-point AF, 9-, 21- or 51-point dynamic-area AF, 3D-tracking, auto-area AF|
|Focus lock||Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo autofocus) or by pressing the center of the sub-selector|
|Flash control||TTL: i-TTL flash control using RGB sensor with approx. 91K (91,000) pixels is available with SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600 or SB-400; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR is used with matrix and center-weighted metering, standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR with spot metering|
|Flash modes||Front-curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction with slow sync, slow rear-curtain sync; auto FP high-speed sync supported|
|Flash compensation||-3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV|
|Flash bracketing||2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV|
|Flash-ready indicator||Lights when optional flash unit is fully charged; flashes after flash is fired at full output|
|Accessory shoe||ISO 518 hot-shoe with sync and data contacts and safety lock|
|Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)||Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-910, SB-900, SB-800 or SB-700 as a master flash and SB-600 or SB-R200 as remotes, or SU-800 as commander; auto FP high-speed sync and modeling illumination supported with all CLS-compatible flash units except SB-400; Flash Color Information Communication and FV lock supported with all CLS-compatible flash units|
|Sync terminal||ISO 519 sync terminal with locking thread|
|White balance||Auto (2 types), incandescent, fluorescent (7 types), direct sunlight, flash, cloudy, shade, preset manual (up to 4 values can be stored), choose color temperature (2,500 K to 10,000 K); all with fine-tuning|
|White balance bracketing||2 to 9 frames in steps of 1, 2 or 3|
|Live View Modes||Live view photography (quiet or silent), movie live view|
|Live View: Lens servo||Autofocus (AF): Single-servo autofocus (AF-S); full-time servo autofocus (AF-F)
Manual focus (M)
|Live View: AF-area modes||Face-priority AF, wide-area AF, normal-area AF, subject-tracking AF|
|Live View: Autofocus||Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subject-tracking AF is selected)|
|Movie Metering||TTL exposure metering using main image sensor|
|Frame size (pixels) and frame rate||1,920 x 1,080; 30p (progressive), 25p, 24p
1,920 x 1,080 crop; 30p, 25p, 24p
1,280 x 720; 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p
640 x 424; 30p, 25p
Actual frame rates for 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p and 24p are 59.94, 50, 29.97, 25 and 23.976 fps respectively; all options support both high and normal image quality
|Movie: File format||MOV|
|Video compression||H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding|
|Audio recording format||Linear PCM|
|Audio recording device||Built-in monaural or external stereo microphone; sensitivity adjustable|
|Movie: ISO sensitivity||Automatically adjusted in the range ISO 200 to 12800 or ISO 200 to Hi 4|
|Maximum length||Approx. 29 min. 59 s (20 min. depending on frame size/rate and movie quality settings)|
|Monitor||8-cm (3.2-in.), approx. 921k-dot (VGA) TFT LCD with 170deg.viewing angle, approx. 100% frame coverage and automatic monitor brightness control using ambient brightness sensor|
|Playback||Full-frame and thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images) playback with playback zoom, movie playback, photo and/or movie slide shows, histogram display, highlights, photo information, GPS data display, auto image rotation, voice memo input and playback and IPTC information embedding and display|
|HDMI output||Type C mini-pin HDMI connector; can be used simultaneously with camera monitor|
|Audio input||Stereo mini-pin jack (3.5-mm diameter; plug-in power supported)|
|Audio output||Stereo mini-pin jack (3.5-mm diameter)|
|10-pin remote terminal||Can be used to connect optional remote control, GPS Unit GP-1 or GPS device compliant with NMEA0183 version 2.01 or 3.01 (requires optional GPS Adapter Cord MC-35 and cable with D-sub 9-pin connector)|
|Peripheral connector||For Wireless Transmitter WT-5A/B/C/D|
|Supported languages||Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian|
|Battery||One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL18|
|AC adapter||AC Adapter EH-6b; requires Power Connector EP-6 (available separately)|
|Tripod socket||1/4 in. (ISO 1222)|
|Operating Temperature||0 to 40deg.C/32 to 104deg.F|
|Operating humidity||Less than 85% (no condensation)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 160 x 156.5 x 90.5 mm/6.3 x 6.2 x 3.6 in.|
|Weight||Approx. 1,340 g/2 lb 15.3 oz with battery and XQD memory card but without body cap and accessory shoe cover; approx. 1,180 g/2 lb 9.6 oz (camera body only)|